Forum Comments

Going Postal - DJ5 Build
In Build Threads
Going Postal - DJ5 Build
In Build Threads
Brian Twyman
Dec 07, 2018
One step of replacing the oil pump i wasnt looking forward to was priming the oil system. This requires removing the distributor and using a special tool and drill you spin the pump manually. This ensures the oil system is full, your oil pump is functional, and there are no air pockets. The drawback is you have to ensure the distributor is put back exactly how it was, along with the rotor system or you are stuck using the top dead center method which i had no interest in. I carefully marked everything and removed it. Then i used the special oil pump priming tool and a drill to prime the system. After which i put the distributor back in and lined it up with markings i had made prior to removal. At this point my attention changed to the fuel system. With the block out plate in place, i spent some time wiring in the fuel pump and pressure regulator. The pump is a bit noisier than id like, but it was fairly cheap so i guess its expected. I modified the firewall a little so the regulator would clear, then plumbed in the feed line, return line, and vent line. Interestingly the vehicle was previously connected to the vent line, which forced the pump to pull through the roll-over valve and honestly im not sure how it worked at all(which is becoming a theme with this rig). Even after all this work i still was unsure if the motor was wrecked from its low pressure experience weeks before, so i was a bit anxious to fire it up. I rigged the fuel pump to the battery and turned the key. Success! I was surprised when the rig fired right up and oil pressure looked great. After letting it run for 10-15 mins the pressure dropped down a bit but still seemed acceptable. Better yet was i didnt hear any clicking or knocking from the engine so fingers crossed i dodged a bullet on that one. Wont know for certain until i start driving it heavily again but it was definitely the encouragement i needed at this point in the project
Content media
0
0
Going Postal - DJ5 Build
In Build Threads
Brian Twyman
Nov 21, 2018
The adventure continues, sadly. I ended up getting a new pump and pickup screen locally, which took 2 days and is another story, but when i went to install the screen it just wasnt working out. After an hour of fighting it i managed to get it installed but it was a little beat up and had me nervous. I considered running it anyway, but then reading online they say you should braze or tig weld the pump to the screen. I figured id give brazing a try even though id never done it before, bought some rod, and according to people online my MAPP gas torch should be able to handle the job. Long story short it didnt work and i ended up burning up the pump, literally. Defeated i ordered a new pump and screen online, got a clamp attachment that bolts on so i dont have to braze/tig the pickup tube to the pump, and ordered the pickup tube install tool. Everything showed up a few days later, and just my luck the pump was faulty. The bolt hold was drilled too close to the pickup passage and if i used it, would have leaked oil out. I messaged Melling(pump maker) on facebook, and they gave me a number to call. To my surprise a gentleman with the last name of Melling is who the number reached which i thought was neat. He agreed i shouldnt run the pump and paid for a return box to their plant so it could be inspected and other pumps checked from that same time period. They also sent me a new pump which arrived a few days later. Once the new pump showed up, i went to use my pump install tool, only to discover it was too small. Back to the internet and ordered up a larger one, which showed up days later. It sort of worked, at least well enough i was able to get the pump in without too much fuss and finally after weeks of work i was able to install the pump into the engine. During all this time i finished up cleaning and painting the oil pan and filter canister. The paint turned out pretty good, although i have noticed it hasnt held up well to even small hits without chipping despite me following the instructions for the paint. The worst of it was on the pan bolts since they came with sharp star washers, but the pan and canister are now installed
Content media
0
0
Brian Twyman
Forum Moderator
More actions